Discover Tricks for Hiring Independent Contractors That Will Keep You Out of Trouble
As a business owner, independent contractor laws can be tricky in the United States (and especially California) that define whether someone needs to be categorized as an employee or an independent contractor. Not to mention the confusion many service professionals are facing with some fuzzy boundaries around client expectations.
I asked a legal expert to join me on Amplify Your Success Podcast episode 201 to talk through the in’s and out’s of the independent contractor laws so you stay out of trouble with the law!
Be sure to join the Amplify Your Success Community to hear more.
- What the difference between an independent contractor and an employee is (hint: it’s not the commonly understood definition.)
- What the 3 factors of mischaracterization are and how they can put you in “hot water” as a business owner who uses independent contractors.
- The big exemption for independent contractors (does it apply to you — or your virtual contractor?)
- How to determine if someone is an independent contractor using the new independent contractor laws.
- 4 simple things you can do as a business owner to protect yourself.
About the Guest:
Nicole Cheri Oden is an attorney licensed in the State of California for over 8 years.
After 4 1/2 years at a big firm, she became a mama. She knew that if she wanted to be present while her daughter grew up, she had to make some big changes. So she started her own law firm and spent the next 2 years learning how to actively create a work-life balance while teaching other women to do the same thing.
After receiving countless questions from other online entrepreneurs who were just so overwhelmed with legal, she pivoted in her coaching to offer legal templates to take the expense and overwhelm out of the process for them. Because while you don’t have to devote all your time, energy, and money to addressing legal issues, as an entrepreneur you do have to become familiar with the law. Nicole also works one-on-one with California based business owners for custom contracts and policies.
Connect With Guest:
Mentioned in This Episode:
- An Online Entrepreneur’s Guide to Starting a Business (for an overview of the legal issues to consider as an online business owner)
- Your Revenue Rush Free Toolkit